Author’s Note: Little Girl is now 4 months old- can hardly believe how the weeks fly!
This poem was a gift to Little Girl, just 16 days before she was born. Enjoy. : )
Your kicks are little kisses,
A secret only we share.
From the barely felt first flutter,
Lying so still to know you’re there-
To the rib kick karate chops,
Making me gulp for air.
For 9 months you’ve lived safe beneath my heart.
In a few short days, you’ll be safe within my arms.
I am over the moon excited to meet you face to face-
To hold this Little Girl I’ve come to know, to feel your embrace.
I can hardly wait for all….
The adventures we’ll share,
The memories we’ll make,
The love we’ll hold…
As we watch you grow and grow.
But for now, these last few weeks,
I never want to forget these precious seconds, when I feel you inside me.
When we are almost one.
I always want to remember this special time, this special love.
Because your kicks are little kisses,
A secret only we share…
Being pregnant was an exciting journey. Lots of special moments, anticipation, rest. But now that I am prego no more, the list of reasons that I’m thrilled to no longer be pregnant has multiplied exponentially.
1) I can now run without my boobs smacking me in the face.
2) I no longer feel like a foie gras goose being fattened for the slaughter. It’s hard to reach your daily caloric goal when someone is kicking you in the gut!
3) Upon meeting me, people can stop staring at my belly. They can look me in the eye. Oh wait, that doesn’t happen anymore after you have a baby. Now they just look at your cute baby! 😉
4) Those same people can also stop touching my stomach.
5) Buh-bye varicose veins.
6) I am done defining “mucus plug” for my husband.
7) Liberation from pregnancy pant panels.
8) Au revoir to laughing leakage.
9) No more tossing and turning for me- I now get deep sleep every night! Ha! Yah right. Did I mention I have a newborn?! Oh- and can you ask me again if my 9-week-old is sleeping through the night? 😉
10) And last but not least, the truest and sincerest of reasons that I am thrilled to no longer be pregnant: I now get to hold Little Girl in my arms!